Wednesday 11 July 2007

D&AD student award



Following my own personal achievement of being chosen to feature in the 2007 D&AD student Annual, I am eagerly awaiting its release in September. I answered the brief set by 'Land Securities' - to design an 80m length of hoarding, to be erected for a 4 year period along Oxford Street whilst an exciting new development takes place.

Following my completion of this work, I was curious as to the winning design; Design Week (Number 27 - July) answered my question.
Students from Central St. Martins College "Created cut out wording with plants being trained to grow through and spell out the message in greenery. This could bring some texture to London's worst thoroughfare" (Fiona Sibley, Design Week, Number 27 - July 2007)

Encouraging it is that the winning formula does not differ too strongly from ideas produced during our very own crit sessions at Leeds University; we discussed the lengthy time based constraint - how to keep people interested over the course of 4 years? What could be produced that changed/developed/grew over time within such a busy fast paced environment?

No comments: