Wednesday 11 July 2007

Art of the Middle East



I was struck by this image discovered in the latest edition of Art Review; initially thinking it was work produced by an artist I have previously taken a keen interest in; Chris Ofili. In his work he uses Acrylic on canvas, accompanied by the unusual choice of elephant dung to portray figurative elements such as the 'Virgin Mary' in a provocative manner. However, this is art from an emergence of a dynamic market in Dubai. The rate and scale of property development in the Middle Eastern City, means there are many white walls to fill. This 'painting' is by Farhad Moshiri; using "glitter and crystal-encrusted acrylics inspired by his hometown's kitsch confectionary and visual culture".
I have been lucky enough to visit Dubai, and was infact inspired by the huge contrast in traditional arabic culture evident amongst a construction cluttered skyline, I wish I had known of the existence of art galleries within City. As I leave for Thailand tomorrow, I shall keep my eye out there instead!

No comments: